Sunday 23 December 2007

London arrivals and departures

I've added a new gallery to my Fotopic site today, mainly of photos I took yesterday whilst in London. There has been so much change on the railways over the last few months that I wanted to capture some of it with my camera.

I started off heading to Victoria to see Battle of Britian class 34067 Tangmere, which was working 1Z82 Victoria to Norwich 'The Cathedrals Express.' I did debate whether to 'chase' the train to Stratford but that would have meant missing out on seeing the Grand Central HST set at Kings Cross. As it happens, I ended up at Stratford later in the day on a rather circuitous route back to Waterloo.

A brief stop off at Kings Cross Thameslink followed after seeing 34067 depart Victoria. During my time working in London I used this station twice, when strikes were afflicting Silverlink. The station entrance looks forlorn, all references to its Thameslink status removed and signs directing intending passengers to the new station at St Pancras International. The entrance is being retained however as it will provide access to the Underground.

Yesterday was an opportunity to take some photographs of the new Grand Central operation - Power Cars 43067 and 43080 were present at Kings Cross, arriving from Sunderland just ahead of their 1045 scheduled time. In the adjacent platform was a National Express East Coast liveried set - 43300 and 43328. It was interesting to see the liveries of these two operators side by side and the contrast between the front ends of the power cars (see above).


After Kings Cross I 'popped next door' to have a look around St Pancras International. Breathtaking is the one word to describe my initial impressions. The station looks magnificent, a greater contrast with the dark and rather gloomy environs of Kings Cross is difficult to imagine. The disappointment is that the domestic services of East Midlands Trains are situated in the train shed extension, apparently shunned from entering the magnificently restored Barlow train shed. The extension itself I think looks ugly and not at all in keeping with the rest of the station - it feels like a cheap add on.


Finally I took the aforementioned circuitous route from here back to Waterloo via the Victoria line, North London Line, Docklands Light Railway and a brief sprint on the East London Line before taking the Jubilee Line to Waterloo. The East London Line has now closed and is not due to reopen until Summer 2010 when it will become part of the London Overground network and will be extended to Croydon.

3 comments:

Derek said...

I look forward to seeing the new St. Pancras station. I was there last during re-modelling in the autumn of 2006 when I took a train from Leicester to London.

There was a 3-part TV programme recently that covered the whole project. Did you see that? I didn't catch any of the episodes, but apparently it was very interesting.

Sounds like you had a great day!

Joe said...

Hi Mark. My sister saw the 'Tangmere' passing through Colchester on Saturday, so thanks for the tip-off about that.

Liverpool Street I see is being closed over Christmas because of the extension on the East London line - pulling down an old bridge or something like that.

Mark said...

I did see that programme about St Pancras but unfortunately it was more to do with the personalities rather than the station itself. It would have been much better if it had shown more of the actual building works and less about petty disputes between staff.