Sunday 27 January 2008

Oxfordshire Day Ranger

Yesterday I enjoyed a day out using First Great Western's recently introduced Oxfordshire Day Ranger ticket. At £15 it represents excellent value, allowing unlimited travel between Oxford and Reading, Oxford and Moreton-in Marsh (on the Cotswold Line), Oxford and Banbury and Oxford and Bicester Town. I choose to keep to the main artery between Banbury and Reading, with stops at Oxford (where I started my journey), Banbury, Didcot Parkway and Reading.

The ticket can be bought from most staffed National Rail stations although I found the knowledge of this Ranger at Milton Keynes Central to be rather lacking. Unfortunately with the revisions to the X5 bus service, which no longer services Oxford Rail Station, it is not possible to purchase a through ticket including the bus journey.
Although it may have been a bright, sunny day, it was not one without its problems. Firstly, the wind was bitingly cold, so I spent little more than an hour at any of my destinations. Any longer and I am sure I would have been frozen to the spot! Also, with the sun low in the sky I had problems with reflections and shadows in unwanted places. Getting a decent shot of anything was near impossible and a couple of times I felt like giving up. However, I hope that some of the results I got are worth it, which can be seen on my Fotopic site.

No comments: